The San Francisco Standard is seeking an experienced business journalist to cover the companies, entrepreneurs and business trends shaping San Francisco's neighborhoods and the transformation of its Downtown. This reporter will produce daily stories and in-depth features on small businesses, retail, restaurants, real estate, and more.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enterprising reporter to become the authority on a host of business topics in San Francisco. If you have the experience, hunger and skills to thrive in this role, we want to hear from you.
- Pitch, report, and write compelling stories that capture the entrepreneurial spirit of San Francisco's small business community.
- Develop sources and contacts among local business owners, founders, and community leaders. Build relationships with independent retailers, restaurateurs, startup founders and real estate developers.
- Stay on top of issues and developments affecting local business districts and neighborhoods. Dig into permits, openings/closings, regulatory changes, and other issues.
- Take on investigative stories probing problems or controversies affecting San Francisco businesses.
- Write and publish 3 to 5 online articles per week.
- Work collaboratively with editors, photographers, graphic designers, our video team and others on the business desk.
- Represent the publication by occasionally attending relevant events, conferences, or speaking engagements.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or a related field or commensurate experience
- At least 3 years of experience reporting on small business, retail, restaurants, real estate, or related topics
- Strong familiarity with San Francisco's neighborhoods and business community.
- Ability to cultivate sources and break news on the hyper-local level. Excellent beat reporting skills.
- Terrific writing and editing abilities. Ability to make granular topics accessible and compelling to readers.
- Working knowledge of AP style
- Proficiency in generating original story ideas and pitching editors successfully.
- Excellent research and reporting skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Basic photography skills
- Data visualization and data analysis skills a plus
- This job may require night and/or weekend work.
We are an in-office company and the role requires a physical presence in the Bay Area. This job may require occasional night and/or weekend work. We offer very competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
The pay range for this role is $75,000 to $140,000. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t fit the preferred qualifications of the job.